Site Closed
Thanks for visiting our site, but sadly this forum is no longer active... Sad
Site Closed
Thanks for visiting our site, but sadly this forum is no longer active... Sad
Site Closed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Site Closed

It was fun while it lasted <3

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Running Up That Hill (An HP RP Site)
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 am by Eldred Bennet

» Luna Vermiculus University
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 am by Shadow Craven

» Hogwarts: Now and Forever
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 10:56 am by Roxanne Conner

» Hogwartsanewage
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 7:33 pm by Silvanus Snape

» Character Request
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 8:13 pm by Roxanne Zakrevsky

» You Again (Lars and Violet)
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:03 am by Lars Wilhelm

» Scent of Nature (Olivia & Humphrey)
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm by Humphrey Williams

» So We Meet Again (Adolphe & Tess)
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:06 pm by Adolphe Morel

» Time for Oneself (Albus and Tess)
Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:04 am by Albus Fenwick

ChatBox

Unwanted Failure (closed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tess Black
Tess Black
Administrator
Administrator

Female Posts : 495

Unwanted Failure (closed) Empty
PostSubject: Unwanted Failure (closed)   Unwanted Failure (closed) EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 am

Tess found herself once more sitting beside her brother as she took the classes again. She was getting sick of them, but here she was being drilled about what it was to be a proper Black, and a success out in the world. Alec looked like he was paying attention, but Tess, her gaze was glazed over, obviously her mind was elsewhere.

Being ten, her imagination was taking over the particularly hard moment. She imagined running around with her friends...her imaginary friends. Unlike Alec, who was already in his third year, he had lots of friends, always coming over, and always causing some sort of ruckus. She was forced to stay inside and be drilled by her mother, drill after drill of being a proper young woman.

"Alec rule number seven" her father barked.

Tess' body immediately stiffened at the tone, she hated that tone. Often times when he said something in that tone, she'd turn to a puddle of tears. Always telling her that she was the weaker child, or that she was too emotional.

"Stare them straight in the eye, it shows them that you have the name, the power, and the riches to get your way in whether it be business or pleasure."

Her gaze was on her brother as he recited this so clearly, no hesitation nor a hint of emotion. He had them drilled so easily, he was so perfect, that she felt a twinge in her chest. It never hurt more, especially when she moved her gaze towards her father and he was staring at her brother with so much pride that she just wanted to disappear.

Alec was the golden boy, the one who got perfect marks on his tests, the one that always got compliments from his professors, the one who was considered a prodigy. And here he was, beside the forgotten sibling that was born already in the shadow of him.

"Tess!"

She jumped and lowered her gaze immediately as her father already held a face of disgust. She closed her eyes knowing she had already failed today's lesson. She wished she wasn't so jumpy, she wished she wasn't so weak, and she wished she could just disappear.

"Y-yes father?" she whispered.

For a ten year old, she should have been stronger. This is what her James Black thought as he looked down at her. Her body language screamed submission and that was a horrible thought. By her age Alec could recite everything, stare at him straight in the eye, and overachieve. He was perfect, perfectly ready for school and to be the child they always wanted. He always wanted a boy, that much was clear when his wife Amorette gave birth to their son. They only needed one child, a male to carry on the name and keep the family going strong. But then his wife had fallen pregnant once more, when children were no longer needed nor wanted. And here he was, dealing with a piece of child, who was so shy, painfully shy and skittish. He sighed.

"Don't stutter" he said firmly.

"...right!" she squeaked out.

He rubbed his temples and new that there was no use. Perhaps she'd make a good wife to a good family. That was a good achievement as any with her; a business merger one day, he knew his wife forced him to make an effort, but then again it seemed harder and harder the older she got and the lack of changes in her demeanor.

"Alec you're dismissed"

"Thank you father"

Alec immediately got up, bowed before leaving the office. His steps were steady and firm. Tess sighed, he always walked with purpose even now that he was fourteen, he had an eloquence with him. And she..she walked like a newborn calf, nervous of whatever could pop up in dark corners, and no matter how they yelled or prodded, it would do nothing but make her even more skittish.

"Look at me Tess Marie"

Her eyes fluttered opened and she looked up to her father her gaze wanting to lower, but she wouldn't allow it. For once she wanted a smile, something, anything to show that he cared. This man, her father was a force to be dealt with, with his 6'1 height and his face, cold as ice, she knew that she was no match, but she'd try to make him proud, if only for a second.

"Recite rule one" his voice boomed.

Tess fiddled with her fingers and her feet tapped the tile floor as her mind was rushing through the rules. Once the rule appeared in her mind a meek smile rose.

"Rule One" she began before taking a deep breath "A Black never lets someone have the upper hand..."

His face was not changing and her gaze lowered a bit. She knew she was already breaking a rule, but she couldn't say it correct if she kept looking at him.

"If physical abuse is not appropriate go for the jugular with your words."

He was the ice man in her mind. You could never know with him, never really getting where he was going, if he was feeling joy with her words or disgust.

"You will learn that in the real word, your words make you either a success or a failure" she trailed off with a softer tone at the end.

She heard him getting closer and she gripped the seat part of the chair as he bent down to face her. She bit her lip and she looked up at him tentatively. His eyes, were like an eagle's calculative and a bit cold, and she, was the victim of his gaze.

"It's good that you remember it love" he said.

She practically glowed at his comment, glad she could be of some use to him. She wanted to hug him tightly and tell him that she was trying hard, especially as she felt his fingers run through her short brown hair. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. So cold, she ignored the shiver from the cold fingers and his cold lips. Ice man indeed.

"You almost made me proud of you Tess" she heard him whisper. "Perhaps one day you will deserve your surname."

She closed her eyes tightly and ignored the burning sensation that came with the need to cry. Again she failed, and he was more disappointed than ever, she knew it. She could never say it in the right way. Whether it be messing up a word, or stuttering, or taking too long, it was always wrong. She was so close today, no stuttering, no slowing down, but she had the wrong tone. She knew it.

"My apologizes father" she whispered.

"Yes...well I'm used to it...the failure that is eminent when testing you."

Merlin she felt like she had the stench of failure on her. She bit back a sob and lowered her gaze. James sighed, so submissive, such a shame she couldn't be more like Alec.

"Go to your room, you will not attend supper. I don't want to see your face at the table. I'll send Ellie to give you your food. In the meantime, write and recite all our rules until I send a message for you to stop do you understand?"

She said nothing.

"Do you?!" his voice boomed.

"Yes" she whispered.

"Get out of my sight"

She rushed off immediately, as she ran up the stairs she saw Alec staring at her with his cold blue eyes. He shook his head and leaned against the rail.

"For once, can't you toughen up? I swear you want him to tear you to shreds"

Tess finally let her tears fall and she glared at her perfect brother. He was the preferred choice, the Golden Boy, why did she have to be blamed for something that wasn't her fault.

"I didn't ask to be born" she hissed to him. "One more year and I'll be out of here, and out of their hair."

She wiped her tears and took in a sharp breath, and he simply stared at her. She had no hope, she always held her heart on her sleeve. Walking forward he placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed.

"We are made of ice" he began. "Our family is cold, calculating, but prideful. We do not melt under a heated glaze, and when fury comes our way, we use this coldness for our advantage. When you get that through your pretty little head, maybe he'll start seeing you as his own."

Tess nodded and looked at him with her big doe eyes. It gave him a twinge of sadness that she wasn't perfect. She was so imperfect, so innocent, that she would be taken down the moment she hit the real world. Such a shame.

"I'm not meant to be ice you know" she murmured.

Alec sighed.

"But you're supposed to."

"I will...I will try, you'll see Alec" she said softly, but with determination. "then I'll deserve some praise like the kind you get."

He kissed her forehead and nodded. He didn't believe her for a second, but he wouldn't crush her spirit, it wasn't his job, it was the ice man's job, and he was doing a good job at it.

"Remember, a heart on your sleeve means-"

"Pain, weakness and eminent failure." she interrupted him with a shy smile.

"Atta girl, now go do your work, I'll ask Ellie to give you some sweets Go."

She wiped her tears and nodded. From this moment on, it seemed that the ice began to grow around her. It was thin, easily breakable, but she wouldn't be such a failure in the future. She couldn't be anymore. All she wanted was a grin, a pat, some pride in her father's eyes.

She never knew that it wouldn't ever happen, not until one moment. But that soon dimmed the moment she uttered those words:

"I don't want to be an Auror, I want to be a Healer"

(OOC: In my head for some reason Mycroft Holmes popped up. XD So imagine Gatiss here)
Back to top Go down

Unwanted Failure (closed)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1